Friday, September 18, 2009

This Old House Exterior 2009

Last year I had the garage and porch roofs replaced.  As an interesting note, while Lenny was pulling wood siding to fix the water and ant damage he found some old newspapers that had been used as insulation.  I was able to preserve some and they're in a house scrapbook.  They were Swedish newspapers addressed to a neighbor, Mrs. Dahl, and were dated 1903.  Kind of neat, but not much in the way of insulation.

Later,  insulation had been blown into the walls of the house.  If you looked closely you could see rows of little round plugs evenly spaced up the house.  This year I am having the house wrapped with insulation, then house wrapped and siding put on the house.  I had a lot of qualms about siding the house since it seemed to destroy the tradition of the house, but when I made the decision not to go with wood windows ($$$$) I had already abandoned the tradition.

The house was built in the late 1920's just before the Depression.  It may not be a "Sears Built" in purchase but I'm willing to bet the builder bought plans from Sears and built from them, even the door knobs and clothes hooks are from the Sears catalog.  Each house in my neighborhood is slightly different but each matches a Sears floor plan and exterior with the exception of the little one that was added in the 40's.


What my house looks like right now.  Come back to see the finished product.

No comments: