Tuesday, September 1, 2009

This Old House 2nd Floor Twins' Room

I finished the mural for the twin's tiny little bedroom.  It was probably the only week this entire summer that was warm so I was constantly dealing with paint that was drying too fast.  At least the glaze helped a little there.

Here's the before picture.  I had been using this small room as what the English call a box room.  It has been a long neglected room by previous owners and has no heat source of its own.  At least in their neglect the wood floors had never been stained but were kept covered by a horrid shag rug.  Angie and I only had to strip off the old finish, sand well and re-seal.  The red oak floors are just gorgeous.  It makes me wish previous owners had left the other floors alone.
Zoe wanted mermaids (and I threw in one little merboy for Eddie) and for some odd reason was insistent on a crab, the things with funny eyes like this -- and she wiggled her fingers on top her head.  Eddie wanted Nemo and Crush and Gil.  Angie said we had to have jelly fish and I had gotten some dolphin stuff from Cobbs.  Surprisingly the room works well together.
Apparently however I failed as a painter of seahorses.  Mine have heads like horses and aren't pregnant enough.  Oh well, there always has to be a humility corner.

The room is still a work in progress, just like the rest of the house.  I still need to hang the stingray and jelly fish (on fishline of course), put up the cupboard doors, replace the electric outlets and install a new ceiling fixture.

At least the floor looks gorgeous.Watch for an update when I get the electrical done and the furniture and mobiles in.

No comments: