Tuesday, September 8, 2009

This Old House 2nd Floor Library/Office

I posted the terracotta color of this room last year.  Decisions and More Decisions April 2008.  I still like the color.  I finished the bookcases, hung curtain rods and some gorgeous curtains at that time. 

The rug for this room finally came in around the time the kids moved in with me so other than to check it was in good condition it stood rolled up in a closet until now.  Since finishing the twins' room I am now able to move them out of their temporary home (my office) and move forward a bit more on this room.




I built the bookcases myself.  They are designed to be removable quickly, I used metal connectors to make sure I could take this set of bookcases down easily. Just me and my trusty cord free screwdriver.  The bookcases are my own design too.  I tried to follow the ones in the Illustrated Cabinetmaking book but I wanted a footed bookcase -- just because I could I guess.  It's one of the privileges of doing it yourself, no one tells you you can't do it your way.   I think part of my decision was also because the baseboards are 7 inches high and matched the feet I found at the wood working store.    Since this is the old master bedroom I wanted bookcases I could take down fast, and stage this room as a bedroom if I decided to sell.

I also love the 1920's style stained glass table lamp I found.  It fits the room so perfectly.  The picture above doesn't do it justice but the colors are orange and cream and green with a touch of purple.  Just like the room.  I can't believe I fell in love with an amber beaded lamp but I did.

I still want to get an electric fireplace for the wall and some artwork then I think the room will be finished.  I'll update later when room is finished.

No comments: