Thursday, September 10, 2009

This Old House 2nd floor Guest Room

I'm currently working on the 2nd floor of the house.

The guest room is almost done, though it still needs a quilt and room darkening curtains.  It's hard to remember the room with almost ruined wainscoting and totally gross damaged cranberry walls.  If I can find a before picture, and I must have one somewhere,I'll edit this post.

I'm always amazed that people paint over layers and layers of wall covering.  I wonder why that is?  I have always spent so much time scraping wallpaper and patching walls before I paint.   In this room I could trace the generations on these walls; hippy sunflowers flowers, ladylike little florals, with three different colors of paint between them.  Wonder if anyone ever studies that kind of thing.

I was going to remove the wainscoting, it was so horrid looking.  My daughter, who lives in a very modern condo, loves the wood and asked me to try to save it.  By the time I finished one square I was glad I hadn't torn it off.  It turned out very rich looking.


As a guest room I kept the color scheme neutral.  Also, you can see where the unfinished wood floor of the hallway shows.  I was told by  a rehabber to always do all the wood floors at the same time but in a project that is covering years I didn't see how I could.  If I have to I'll put in the old wooden thresholds between rooms if there is color difference.  The floors are so old and were in such poor shape, some are cupped, some are discolored, some are chipped.  I like the look, they look like they've been there a long time.

I have four favorite wolf pics that I framed for over the headboard.  One is from each season, and for some reason everytime I'm looking at the room that Season of the Witch song plays in my head, only I alter it to Season of the Wolf.  Good old Donovan music.  I had to look up the lyrics -- how absolutely depressing we were when we were young.

No comments: