Thursday, September 10, 2009

New Technologies Tech Conference

I am now linkedin  http://www.linkedin.com and I tweet or is it I twitter and I chat.  I've reactivated my blog.  I am so totally "socially networked" I feel like I'm glued to the chair at this computer.

I attended the New Technologies Conference in State College, and had a blast and it is mainly HSLC instructor John Houser's fault.  I knew and used most of the "web 2.0" technologies that we played with in class but I enjoyed the new slant on usage that I received from the class and the fact that it was now fun.

We were each furnished with a netbook for the class and required to open a twitter account before session started.  One thing I learned quickly from this class is that I am very glad my personal netbook has a six cell battery, only one of ours did and the rest of them died during the first half of the session.  Mine being one of the first because I was using google docs to take notes.

One issue I've always had with the social networking part of the "web experience" is that it seems as if a lot of it was created to justify the "toy" but not to be truly useful, and I'm unfortunately one of those people who feel so busy I need to justify usefulness.  People say, wow I have this great blackberry or iphone and it cost a bundle -- now what do I do with it.

As I find a need for a new product I know I'll start to use it.  The web is an invaluable resource for me; technical manuals, shopping, research;  it's hard to remember being without it.  Email is the same, a fast, paperfree way to keep in touch both at work and at home. Chat also has it's value for project work and quick conversations with my kids.   However, it is difficult to justify "what are you doing now" (twitter) as being of any value.  YET.  Even when I used it in class I found myself treating it as if it were a chat program.  Time will tell.

No comments: