Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Visiting Grandchildren


Today is day 5 of the visit of the alien creatures known as babies. My beloved grand twins have been here making chaos out of order and noise and joy out of peace and quiet. The lid to my spaghetti pan has several dings from a rousing rendition of Na na na na Na na. I never knew babies knew rock music lyrics!! Maybe I have a budding drummer here.

The weather has finally given us a taste of spring and I took the kids out to help me clean up the backyard for the summer. It's hard to believe two weeks ago I still had snow covering the bird feeders and today it is 72 degrees. Our winter skins started to burn quickly and we didn't get to spend a lot of time outside but I did find out Eddie isn't sure about that green squishy stuff called grass and Zoey loved it. He was entranced by all the different birds visiting the yard and his little head was snapping around like crazy to follow the different sounds and flights. He even ended up falling backward watching a blue jay. He knows baby sign but is a little man of few words however the ASL sign for bird is one he was using a lot today, followed by a word that sounded amazingly like CAW CAW.

There's a bit of a rush to get this part of the yard cleaned up, I ordered five new apple trees and hope to espalier them along the fence. I picked all my favorite apples including sops of wine which I remember from when I was a kid, and Miki and Hank's favorite -- honeycrisp. Of course we will all have to wait three years to even taste one but it is still exciting.

No comments: