Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Legacy Continues

My mom, as a military wife with husband on deployment a lot of the time, taught me when I was young that you always needed to be able to take care of yourself.  You needed education or training in a field so you could be self-supporting, you needed to know how to take care of a car, how to mow a lawn, how to do minor electrical fixes.  Thanks in part to her advice I have a career in a field I truly enjoy, with the bonus of being able to support myself (and my daughter and grand kids right now), and my hobby is rehabbing.  I'm proud that most of the inside work and about half of the outside work on my house has been done by the crew of me, myself, and I.

So where am I heading with this?  Well, the garbage disposal died last week, thank goodness it was under warranty, and last night we installed the new one.  Now, I still have stitches from the carpal tunnel surgery so Angie was more than game to try it herself, including the wiring connection.  It was an interesting feeling passing on these hard won skills as I introduced her to wirenuts and grounding wires.  Our work interests are so vastly different that I am no help with those skills but I can pass on these skills.  She did a careful, great job, once the power was turned back on the disposer ran first time and didn't leak..  Hope she was as proud of herself as I was.

No comments: